Grand Prize Money on My Mind $2000 Winner, Mike Jones!

1st Prize Winner!

Introducing, Mike “Microphone” Jones from the University of Tampa, our GRAND PRIZE Money on My Mind video contest winner! Mike is taking home $2,000 for his video for, “Budget Song!”

My greatest challenge to keep my bank balanced/ as a college student I don’t get no allowance. For food clothes transportation, I got to plan right to reach my destination. Be frugal with my money; don’t go spending it out on them honeys. When I get real hungry, gotta think with my head, and not my tummy. Take a step, step back, look into my bank to see where my money at (where my money at) , is it high or low. I can check online when I’m on the go. And it’s really helpful, when I’m on the go/ Stick to my schedule/and track where my money goes.

So what did you think? Catchy, right? What about his challenge with keeping his bank balanced – do you have a similar issue? Microphone Jones is frugal with his money and tries to avoid spending it on unnecessary purchases. Share your strategies in the comments and be entered to win a $20 gift card!*

Click here to see a recap of all the winning videos!

Over 150 video submissions were received from students across America telling us about their #1 money management challenge while trying to balance school and non-academic life. More winning videos will be posted each week, giving you more chances to comment and win. The grand prize winner will be announced on November 30, so be sure to visit One For Your Money often or sign up for our RSS feed to stay in the loop!

*Please see the Official Rules for full details.

Posted on November 30, 2012 at 11:09 am 10 comments

Categories: Banking 101, Budgeting, Media, Money 101, Money on My Mind 2012, Promos & Contests, Spending Control, Spread the Word!

Recieve new post updates: Entries (RSS)
Recieve follow up comments updates: RSS 2.0

10 comments

1. cjevar Says:
    December 4, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Awesome job!

2. windowsp Says:
    December 5, 2012 at 5:17 pm

This song is actually great. It deserved to win the grand prize. Online banking had helped me manage my money. Most of the time, we forgot where did we use that $2.12 at and we had to keep track of the bill. However, with online banking, it clearly show where the money went and we don’t have to go through all hassles to track those money. GREAT JOB!

3. DillonMabry Says:
    December 5, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I’m in my first year of college, and managing my money for the first semester… Yeah, I didn’t do so good. Microphones Jones said it pretty much perfectly, eating at the college cafe was a bad idea, “gotta think with my head, and not my tummy” and I definitely spent it on things I shouldn’t have “not spending it on things regretful.” But now I know what to do differently, and my money should be easier to manage.

4. windowsp Says:
    December 5, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Great job!

5. kristenmhubbell@gmail.com Says:
    December 5, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I have always had trouble balancing my checkbook. With Higherone, I can check what I’ve spent on my cell phone app. It has worked very well for me.

6. alanders107 Says:
    December 5, 2012 at 6:20 pm

One that’s so catchy I loved it. After listing to this song I realized I spend to much money listening to my tummy! I also need to stop spending money on them honeys too….I mean it should be the other way around anyways right lol? I will definitely be taking the time to do a spread sheet from now on no more fast food or dates for me until then or I will be hands up situation :) congrats

7. docplove Says:
    December 5, 2012 at 8:23 pm

This is just awesome! I And he is right when he said think with his head and not his stomach because when I am hungry, my eyes get BIG because of my stomach. And yes, you are right when you say you dont have time for honies lol. Impressing girls can cost you A LOT of money, so its important to get your priorities straight.

8. tcaballe Says:
    December 5, 2012 at 11:27 pm

This was a great video. Even though I’m not into rap music, his song makes a lot of sense. We gotta save for emergencies. Congrats Mike!

9. amberpatrick1 Says:
    December 6, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Great creative song! It gives me ideas so I can submit for next time!

10. Gimbledon Says:
    December 6, 2012 at 9:09 pm

It is nice when artists use multisyllabic rhymes. It really separates the ordinary ‘MC’ from the gifted. It was well written and had to listen to it twice: once to just listen and enjoy and the second to listen to his advice.

I am glad he won.

Trackbacks

1. Credit Repair - Dave Ramsey on rasing your FICO credit score - Debt and Credit