Spring Refund Toolkit

Spring Refund toolkit

Everything you need to know for speedy delivery of your spring refunds!

Spring refunds are on their way, everyone! Be sure to check with your school for the date student refunds will be sent out. Every school is different, so it’s important to know when to expect your refund. By using the tips below, you’ll be sure to receive your refunds FAST!

To make sure there’s no delay in receiving your refund, be sure to:

• Select a Refund Preference! To ensure you receive your refund on time, unlock your refund preference by visiting the website listed on the back of your card.
  • Use EasyHelpsm for all questions about your refunds, card and OneAccount. EasyHelp is a knowledge database that allows you to search and even ask a question about anything refund-related! You’ll want to make sure you have confirmed your email address with Higher One to ask a question in EasyHelp.
  • Get Refund Notifications. Receive an email and/or text message when your refund is sent by Higher One!
  • Update your current mailing address with your school. This is usually done through your school’s website, student portal or on campus.
  • See all of Higher One’s informative videos to learn how to select a refund preference, set up Mobile Alerts and much more!

What else would you add to this toolkit? Have any personal strategies for fast refunds to share with fellow Gamers?

Posted on January 8, 2010 at 3:53 pm 34 comments

Categories: Feature of the Month, Money, OneAccount, Spread the Word!

Recieve new post updates: Entries (RSS)
Recieve follow up comments updates: RSS 2.0

34 comments

1. madams3 Says:
    January 10, 2010 at 1:49 am

Thanks for the tips! I am going to check over everything just incase! I can’t wait to get my refund!

2. dianag Says:
    January 11, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I wish I had seen this last month to have been entered in for the ipod!

3. tnewton Says:
    January 11, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Getting your money faster will help a lot of people who are financially strapped and attending school right now with the way the economy is. It is an awesome system.

4. samantha Says:
    January 11, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I am so very happy to be the winner of an 8gb ipod touch! Thanks! Cant wait for the money to arrive on my card. I got txt alerts so i will know the minute it gets to me!!!

5. scurry3 Says:
    January 13, 2010 at 11:26 am

spring refunds!!! There was something said about them being sent out at our campus on Feb. 1st. cant wait!

6. rchristmas Says:
    January 13, 2010 at 6:09 pm

I got text alerts so I’ll know as soon as my money comes! I did this last semester as well. It’s very handy always being able to send a text to get my current balance as well. Feb 1st can’t wait!

7. boss bish 2010 Says:
    January 14, 2010 at 3:16 pm

i can’t wait till the 14th day of school. refund money hurry up

8. heavenly Says:
    January 14, 2010 at 11:04 pm

I can’t wait to get my refund, I think having it on a card will make it easier. Then having it sent in check form.

9. d_katie80 Says:
    January 17, 2010 at 2:14 pm

hope this green card is good…my first time having my refund on a card and not check…kinda excited!!!

10. crobinson140 Says:
    January 17, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I can’t wait until Feb. 1st!!! I think having the option to sign up for a text to know exactly when the money is the account is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Aaron (GT Admin) Says:
    January 18, 2010 at 10:51 am

Hey Gamers! Thanks for all the great comments, it’s great to see people excited to get their refund money fast!

Roquita and I want to make sure everyone’s aware of a few additional things to make sure you receive your refunds on time, and where you want them -

-You have a choice for how you want to receive your refund. If you elect to open the OneAccount, your refund is deposited into a full service, FDIC insured checking account, connected to a Debit MasterCard. You can use it to make purchases or get cash for free at any Higher One ATM

-Every school’s refund date is different so be sure to log into your account and check the “Refund Status and History” from Quick Links box on the left

-By submitting your comments to this or any other blog post you’re entered to win a $50 iTunes card for that month! You can also check out the Promos & Contest page and learn about our Spread the Word contest, and be entered to win ANOTHER $50 iTunes card!

Thanks again for your comments, Gamers! Keep ‘em coming and earn even more entries for a $50 iTunes card!

12. heavenly Says:
    January 18, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Hey I was asked a question by a fellow student and I would like to know does anyone have the answer. The question was can you use the money on airplane tickets and is there a discount?

13. Roquita (GT Admin) Says:
    January 18, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Hi heavenly! You can definitely use your debit card associated with the OneAccount to purchase airplane tickets. As long as you have money in your account, you can use the card to make purchases. You can get discounts with certain merchants when you make purchases online by visiting the OneRewards site: https://www.higheroneaccount.com/rewards/login.do?t=Home. You can receive discounts OR cashback when you use your program card with OneRewards merchants.

14. Pomamese Says:
    January 20, 2010 at 9:05 am

My friend was wanting me to find out if the money stays on the card.. well, basically forever, or are there penalties for not using it within a certain amount of time? I know there aren’t monthly fees, but are there ones for not using the card or can you actually keep your money on the card as long as you want without any drawbacks?

15. Aaron (GT Admin) Says:
    January 20, 2010 at 11:15 am

Hi Pomamese, great question! Like most checking accounts, after a certain period of inactivity it is possible to incur an Abandon Account Fee. With the OneAccount, this period is nine months. However, Higher One contacts a student through a monthly statement reminder as well as additional communication after a certain period of inactivity to make sure they are not charged this fee . Check out the Tools & Resources page for tips on How to Use the OneAccount for FREE. You can also see Higher One’s fee schedule by clicking on the link at the bottom of the page you use to sign into your Account. I hope this helps your friend, Pomamese – thanks for the question!

16. nmuse Says:
    January 20, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Feb. 1 can not get here soon enough!

17. thaynes13 Says:
    January 23, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I am not real sure when I will be receiving my money on my card but I know I definitely need it. I do not know why it is not disbursed out differently because I need things for my classes that are expensive and our bookstore does not sale it so I have to be behind in my classes to wait for my money to come. I think it should come the day the classes start so no one falls behind.

18. Stephanie050683 Says:
    January 24, 2010 at 8:36 pm

I know that a lot of people have many questions about being able to use your card for certain things. I can tell you that I myself have used it on just about everything. Any place that takes a Master Card will take yours. I will say one thing though. I have found that I can only take out $400.00 at my bank ATM but I am able to get $500.00 out at our school. But this may vary. This card is just like a prepaid card. I know the new people will like it too.

19. Aaron (GT Admin) Says:
    January 25, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Hey Stephanie, thanks for the comment! We were hoping to add some information to it that we think will help everyone. Gamers – feel free to pass this information along to your friends!

Higher One ATMs – students can withdraw $500 a day from their OneAccount at any Higher One ATM machine. Each bank is different with how much they allow their account holders to withdraw per day. Higher One allows you to take $500 a day from your OneAccount.

The card is actually a lot different than a prepaid card. If you elected to have your refunds deposited into the OneAccount, your card is connected to a full service FDIC Insured checking account tied to a Debit MasterCard. It works no differently than a checking account from somewhere such as Bank of America, Wells Fargo, or Citi Bank. With this card, you can add money, make purchases anywhere MasterCard is accepted, send money between OneAccounts, use Online Bill Pay, order checks and use features like Mobile Alerts. The refund you receive from your school acts as a deposit, similar to having your job directly deposit your paycheck into your account, or by making a deposit yourself. It is very important to keep track of the balance in your OneAccount to avoid incurring any fees associated with spending more money than is available in your account.

20. jalethia89 Says:
    January 25, 2010 at 4:30 pm

So when feb 1 comes will the money will be available to us then im a t ivy tech north central n it says feb 1 so i was jus wonderin will we be able to acces the money that same day!!!

21. michelle31081 Says:
    January 26, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Can we have our federal tax return direct deposited into our one account?

22. Aaron (GT Admin) Says:
    January 26, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Hey michelle31081! Yes you can absolutely have your tax return direct deposited into your OneAccount! One of the best things about the account is that it’s a fully functioning checking account. You’ll probably need your routing number and account number to do it. Those can be found that the top the “Recent Activity” page when you log in to your account. Hope you get a big return, thanks for the comment!

23. dianag Says:
    January 26, 2010 at 5:13 pm

When I signed up for One Account, the guidelines stated that our campus would be getting a ATM soon. (No other Higher One ATM’s are in our town) Do you have an update on when the Muncie, Indiana Ivy Tech Campus will be getting an ATM? If it has already been installed, maybe you can tell me where they have it hiding at, lol.

24. Aaron (GT Admin) Says:
    January 27, 2010 at 2:02 pm

hey dianag – the easiest way to find the location of an ATM is:

-click “Spend” under the “OneAccount” tab on the top tool bar
    -scroll down to “Get Cash”
    -select your state from the drop down menu which will reveal a list of ATM locations

Anyone can log in to their account and follow these steps to find ATM locations! Thanks for the comment!

25. ehull1 Says:
    January 29, 2010 at 12:44 am

Do we have to wait until there is money deposited into our higher one account to deposit other money into it? I was trying to link up my PayPal account to transfer funds from it to my Higher One card but it would not work. Any suggestions?

26. Roquita (GT Admin) Says:
    January 29, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Hey Gamers!

Regarding michelle31081′s tax question, Higher One cardholders will receive a 15% discount on filing through Turbo Tax at http://www.higherone.com/turbotax.

I’m sure we all appreciate any discounts we can get! :)

27. folgers2008 Says:
    January 30, 2010 at 11:39 am

Can we make deposits through an ATM ?

28. Utmanare1 Says:
    February 1, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I have a question regarding the refund alerts. When you enter your primary email address will you automatically receive an email alert when the money is transferred into your Higher One account? I did see where you could sign up for a mobile alert but wanted to make sure there wasn’t something else you needed to complete for an email alert.
    Thanks for your help!

29. Aaron (GT Admin) Says:
    February 2, 2010 at 11:30 am

jalethia89 – see our important message to Ivy Tech Gamers regarding Ivy Tech Refunds.

Higher One will notify a student as soon as their refund money is disbursed. In order to do this however, the school must first release refunds to Higher One, which is a different date for each school. Also, each school’s process for how they apply financial aid, grants, scholarships, etc to student accounts before sending refund money to Higher One. It’s important to ask you school when they will start releasing refunds to Higher One. Often, schools do this over a period of days or weeks, so if your friends gets a refund one day and you don’t – don’t worry!

Sign up for Mobile Alerts to receive a text message once Higher One has disbursed your refund! Learn more at http://www.HigherOne.com/mobile

30. Aaron (GT Admin) Says:
    February 2, 2010 at 11:34 am

ehull1 – many times a third party payment processor will make a small deposit and small withdraw from the account you are trying to link. They then ask you to confirm what those amounts are, and is how they confirm the account your trying to link is yours. If there is no money in the account it may cause an error and could be why you’re experiencing an issue. Try it again once your refund is deposited. You can also call Customer Care at the number listed on the back of your card or visit Easy Help!

31. Aaron (GT Admin) Says:
    February 2, 2010 at 11:41 am

folgers2008 – No, at this time you cannot make deposits at a Higher One ATM. There are many other ways to make deposits into your OneAccount though!

Under the OneAccount tab you will see a link to “Add Money” where you can set up a funding account. This is when you pull money from an existing account in your name to deposit money into your OneAccount. It’s completely free and is quick to set up!

You will also see a link to “Deposits.” Click on this to show you all the ways to add money to your OneAccount!

I hope this helps! Higher One is working on making deposits to your OneAccount easier. Gamers will be some of the first to know once Higher One offers additional deposit options!

32. Aaron (GT Admin) Says:
    February 2, 2010 at 11:54 am

Utmanare1 – YES, you will automatically receive an email notification once your refund has been disbursed from Higher One! You do not need to sign up for it, an email will automatically be sent to your primary email address!

33. ddelgado93 Says:
    August 30, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Is there a way to link your higher one account to your paypal account. Im trying to do so with the bank information my higher one gives me but when i enter it into the paypal it tells me it needs more reviewing and asks me to link a different bank account

34. Aaron Says:
    September 5, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Hello! This question is best directed to one of Higher One’s Customer Care channels. Easy Help may also be of assistance to you. We found this answer discussing PayPal accounts: https://www.higheroneaccount.com/easyhelp/pta?basepage=answer&type=public&param=2114

You can contact Higher One Customer Care in the following ways:
    –Call the number on the back of your card Monday-Friday 8 a.m. – 11 p.m. ET. Be sure to have your card with you to expedite the process of reaching a representative. After entering your card number and date of birth you’ll be read your balance information. After this, press “0″ to speak with an Agent.
    –Use EasyHelp’s “Ask a Question” feature by clicking on any EasyHelp logo when logged into your account. Simply fill out the information in the Ask a Question tab and someone will follow up with you through email.
    –Tweet @AskHigherOne Monday-Friday between 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. ET.

Hope this helps!